St Mary's Church in Patshull
Mary's Church at Patshull is a closed church in the Parish and
is run by the Churches Conservation Trust and we do hold occasional
services there during the year.
St Mary's is
a chaste fabric in the Italian style, built by Sir John Astley,
to whose memory it has a tomb, bearing recumbent effigies of
himself and lady.
Here is another tomb in memory of Sir Richard Astley, who is
represented at the head of a squadron of horse, and on each side
of the monument are figures of his two wives, in sitting postures,
The Earl of Dartmouth is patron of the perpetual curacy, in the
incumbency of the Rev. W George Greenstreet, MA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William
White, Sheffield, 1851)
The parish registers of St Mary, Patshull commence in 1559. The
original registers for the period 1559-1990 (Bapts), 1770-1989
(Mar) & 1559-1988 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record
Bishops Transcripts, 1656-1874 (with many gaps) are deposited
at Lichfield Record Office.
St Mary's Church,
Patshull is a redundant Anglican church near the village
of Pattingham, Staffordshire, England, and is situated near Patshull
Hall. It is
designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building,
and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. St
Mary's was built in about 1743, and was designed by James Gibbs
for Sir John Astley. It replaced an earlier medieval church on
the site. Additions were made to it in 1874 by W. C. Banks. These
included a north aisle, a bell tower, and a dome.
Exterior: The church is constructed in sandstone, with
lead roofs. Its plan consists of a three-bay nave with a north
aisle, a single-bay chancel with a north vestry, and a west tower.
At the corners of the church and the tower are rusticated quoins.
The tower is in three stages, the lower and middle stages being
separated by a string course, and between the middle and top
stages is a cornice.
It contains roundheaded and circular windows, and in the top
stage are round-headed louvered bell openings flanked by Tuscan
pilasters. It is surmounted by a lead cupola. At the east end
of the church is a Venetian window, above which is a pediment
gable. Along the sides of the church are round-headed windows
and, in the nave between these, are circular windows. In the
middle of the south side is a porch supported by Tuscan pillars.
Interior: Between the nave and the north aisle is an arcade
of round arches supported on square piers. The font consists
of a marble baluster. Between the nave and chancel is a gilded
wrought iron screen added by Banks. In the church are memorials
to members of the Astley family. These include one to an earlier
Sir John Astley who died in 1532.
It is in alabaster and consists of two recumbent figures on a
chest tomb. Another is to Sir Richard Astley who died in 1687.
This consists of a standing figure between two seated wives,
and is joined to the other monument by a frieze. Another monument
is to a Lord Pigot who died in 1795 and to Sir Robert Pigot,
2nd Baronet who died the following year. Against the south wall
of the nave is a medieval coffin lid. External features: Around
the church are three structures, each of which has been listed
at Grade 11.
These consist of the walls, gates and gate piers to the northeast
and south of the churchyard, a gate, gate piers and adjoining
walls to the east of the churchyard, and gate piers and gates
to the northeast of the chancel. The churchyard contains the
war graves of two soldiers of World War I.
A full house at St Mary's Carol Service...
two hundred attended the popular Carol Service held at St Mary's
Church at Patshull on Sunday 10th December 2006, with donations
going to the Churches Conservation Trust.
The residents of Burnhill Green had trimmed the church with Christmas
decorations and lighted candles, creating a truly festive atmosphere.
They also provided
the homemade mince pies and mulled wine which were distributed
to the congregation in the Salon of Patshull Hall, kindly opened
specially for the occasion by the owner, Tim Reynolds.
Wedding at St
Wedding of Lynn Colley and Timothy Waddicor took place at St
Mary's Church, Patshull on Saturday 22nd September 2007, at 2.00pm
Photographs of this event can be seen in the Photo Gallery section
of this website.
Parish Records for
Patshull, St Mary
Historic records of
St Mary, Patshull have been deposited at Staffordshire Record
Office, where they are available for consultation by the public.
These include the parish registers of baptisms 1559-1812, marriages
1559-1835 and burials 1559-1812; parish officers accounts
1689-1718, 1731-1805; vestry minutes 1851-1902; parish poor law
papers mainly 18th century; and more.
of these records is available in "Gateway to the Past"
(http://www.archives.staffordshire.gov.uk) - the online catalogue
of the Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent Archive Service.
The Archive Service's website (http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/archives) provides further
information on planning a visit to the office to consult records,
should you wish to do so.
More information on
this beautiful church will be available in the future.